Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Introducing Abigail Mira Gelman

Abigail Mira Gelman made her arrival at 2:44am, weighing in at 8lbs 6oz and measuring 19 inches long.

As I mentioned briefly yesterday, we arrived at the hospital at 11:30pm for a labor check, I was having pretty intense contractions. However, once the resident checked me, we found I wasn't dilated. After conferring with the attending on call, I was told to walk around the hospital for a couple of hours and come back and get rechecked. So Micah and I hit the halls of Sinai, walking up and down the bottom floor of the hospital.

The walking seemed to help a little. When I went back to get checked I was 1 cm. The resident checked again with the doctor and because of my contraction patter and the fibroid, they decided to admit me to see if I would progress over the evening. I got all hooked up and was given medicine to help me sleep. In the morning I was rechecked by the resident and was still only 1 cm.

About an hour later, around 8am, the attending came into check me I had progressed to a "nice" 3 cm. So know we were on our way. The ended up augmenting my labor with pitocin, as I wasn't contracting and progressing fast enough on my own. At noon, they broke my water and shortly after I asked for the epi (What a life saver)!

Over the next twelve hours, I slowly progressed to 10 cm. It was so slow, that we talked with the several of the doctors about a possible c-section, but I kept plugging along. Due to going so long since they broke my bag of water, it appears that I developed an infection and started to run a low grade fever. I was giving antibiotics so that it wouldn't effect Abby.

By 1am Wednesday morning, I was 10 cm and began pushing. That in itself is another story. I pushed for about 1hour and 45 minutes, much longer that I would have liked. Abigail was born screaming. She was taken over to the warmer immediately by the NICU team because there was mechonium (baby's first poop) in my bag of water. We met up with her two hours later once I was moved to the mother baby unit. She has been with us every since. She is caught on to breast feeding quite well and already has had a couple of poopy diapers. Micah has become the diaper changing champ.

We are so in love despite how tired the past 48 hours have been.





5 comments:

Mom/gram said...

She is beautiful!! Good job,well done.Now the fun begins.
Congrats to you and Micah.

Love,great grammy S,

FMD said...

Jen and Micah, she is so beautiful! Congratulations. I am loving the hair! I'm sorry it took you so long to progress, that is really tough. I'm so glad you didn't have to have a c-section though. We are thinking of you these first few weeks! Once you get home and settled and into a routine, I would love to chat more.

"On the night you were born, the moon smiled with such wonder that the stars peeked in to see you and the night wind whispered 'life will never be the same.'"

-Nancy Tillman

Pink Pixel Princess said...

She is so adorable. I'm glad you both made it thru, sorry it took so long, I know your were expecting a short time frame, but its over and well worth it!
get some rest and glow in the first days of motherhood! I can't believe we have a grama Ellen and grampa mark! hahhahahaha
HUgs to all!

Cyndi said...

What a little doll! Glad to know that everyone is doing well despite the long labor. I can't wait to meet her in person. I expect lots of pictures with that new camera!

KT said...

Congrats! She is so beautiful! And as expected, completely worth the wait! Great job , Mom!! (and bonus points to Dad for already being all over diaper patrol!) I simply cannot wait to see her in person.

I'm glad everyone made it through safe & sound. So brave of you to keep plugging along! Enjoy every second of mommyhood...and use that camera well:P

Welcome to the world, Miss Abigail!