Thursday, August 7, 2008

Aches and Pains of Pregnancy

The aches and pains of pregnancy have begun. Well to be honest the started a while ago. Since about 15 weeks or so I've had this pain in my pelvic. I figured it was related to my belly growing and dismissed it. about two weeks ago the pain got really bad. It hurts to walk, roll over in bed, pick things up, bend over and even get dressed. I called the doctor's office and spoke with the nurse. She said that the pain was most likely caused by my pelvic bone separating (it happens in some women.)

After a bit of research on the web (which can honestly be the worse thing for a pregnant woman), and discovered that there is actually a name to this type of pain. Symphysis pubis dysfunction. It is where the front of the pelvic bone starts to separate due to the increase of hormones, misalignment or a combination of the two. There isn't much that can be done, other than warm compresses and Tylenol.

However, when I spoke with the nurse she said that if the pain didn't get better, I should call and make an appointment to be seen. Well the pain hasn't gotten better so I made an appointment. I ended up seeing one of the doctors in the practice that I hadn't seen before. I don't think that she even read my chart before she came into the room. I told her about the pain and she just looked at me and said that it was just a normal pregnancy pain. She made me feel like an idiot for coming in. She did measure my belly and listen to the heartbeat and everything is normal. But, I left the doctors office upset about the interaction I had with the doctor. Let's just hope that she isn't on call when I go into labor.

For the meantime, I'm resting on the couch, with Tylenol and a hot compress. After all that we went through to get here, a little pain is nothing to have a healthy baby.

2 comments:

KT said...

Sorry to hear the doc wasn't very helpful. Reminds me of that time when I took you to the ER & the doc kept asking you if it hurt when he did that!

Hope you are getting some rest & feeling better soon!

Pink Pixel Princess said...

sstschoeI had the same pain, worse with the first pregancy not sure if it was because of the twins or just because it was the first pregancy.
Hope you feeling better soon!